First Communion will be celebrated on Sunday, May 14, 2017 during the 11:00am Mass.
In addition to their other religious education, candidates for First Communion at Immaculate Conception Parish must participate fully in our short preparatory program prior to the celebration of the sacrament. This includes:
- Two preparation sessions:
- Sunday, April 30, 10:30am-11:30am
- Sunday, May 7, 10:30am-11:30am
- A pre-Communion retreat, scheduled for Saturday, May 13, from 10:30am to 12:15pm, during which the candidates will celebrate the Sacrament of Reconciliation ("Confession") for the first time.
The above events take place in the parish's Lenes Hall, next to the church.
Without a doubt, parents are the primary instructors in the faith for their children. They serve as models for their children's future religious participation. The primary responsibility for all sacramental preparation, therefore, rests with them. The role of the parish catechists is to support the parents in their role as religious educators for their children. To this end:
- Prior to the first session for the Communion candidates, at least one parent must attend an informational session scheduled for Sunday, April 23 at 10:30am in the church's Lenes Hall. Parents should bring to that meeting a copy of their child's baptismal certificate.
- During the program, parents are expected to assist their children in learning the required prayers and other materials to the satisfaction of the catechists.
- At least one parent is to participate in the pre-Communion retreat on April 30.
In order to offset program costs, a fee of $125 is requested for each child. If a family cannot afford this, please contact the Pastor and simply ask that the fee be reduced or waived. No child will be denied participation in the program due to financial difficulties.
To register your child for First Communion, please click on the tab entitled, "Communion Registration Form."
Questions?: Please contact the Parish Office at 504.529.1477, ext. 224.