Policies and Guidelines for the Sacrament of Baptism
For I will pour water on the thirsty land and streams on the dry ground; I will pour my spirit upon your descendents and my blessing on your offspring (Isaiah 44:3).
- The Sacrament of Baptism is celebrated on the 2nd and 4th Sunday of every month immediately following 11 am Mass. Other times can be arranged by contacting the Pastor.
- Usually one of the priests assigned to the parish performs baptisms which take place in the church; however, if you desire that a different priest or deacon perform the Sacrament, please provide this information at the time you schedule a date for the baptism.
- It is customary and deeply appreciated for parents to make a financial gift to the church at the time of the baptism.
- Both parents and godparents are to attend a baptismal preparation class prior to having their child baptized, if they have not already done so. There is no fee for this class. Those who participate in a class other than at Immaculate Conception should arrange to have that parish provide a letter to the Immaculate Conception Pastor, indicating the date and place of their participation.
- Parents must complete a brief "Parental Testimonial" statement. For a copy of the form, please click here. Prior to the baptism, the form should be submitted, by mail or fax (504.524-0155), to the Pastor. It may also be sent as an attachment to an email.
- Parents are expected to choose either one or two godparents (sponsors).The role of a godparent is to help a child, along with the parents, lead a Chrisian life in harmony with baptism. The Catholic Church makes a distinction between a sponsor (godparent) and a witness.
- To be admitted to the role of godparent, one must:
- be a Roman Catholic, at least 16 years of age, in good standing with the Church
- have received the three sacraments of Baptism, Eucharist and Confirmation
- lead a life in harmony with the faith of the Church.
- Each godparent must complete a brief "Godparent Testimonial" statement. For a copy of the form, please click here. Prior to the baptism, the form should be submitted, by mail or fax (504.524-0155), to the Pastor. It may also be sent as an attachment to an email.
- It is customary to have two Catholic sponsors, one male and one female, but if parents choose only one godparent according to the above criteria, they may also choose a "Christian witness" as an additional person who, as a non-Catholic baptized and praticing Christian, observes and attests to the faith commitment of the child's parents.
To register your child for Baptism, please click on the tab entitled, "Baptismal Registration Form."
Questions?: Please contact the Parish Office at 504.529.1477, ext. 224.